- FOR ENTREPRENEURS
- LOCAL ECONOMY
- WORKFORCE SUPPORT
- GIS MAPS
THE WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARD
The Humboldt County Workforce Investment Board brings together resources to meet employer and employee needs to advance the prosperity of our communities. Required by the federal Workforce Investment Act, the HC-WIB is comprised of public workforce development professionals in education, social services, economic and community development, as well private business owners. The Humboldt County Board of Supervisors appoints the HC-WIB members, and the private sector business people direct the focus of the HC-WIB as 51% plus of the membership.
The HC-WIB oversees the workforce investment system, a network of agencies that collaborate to provide comprehensive workforce preparation through the one-stop system, locally called The Job Market.
WIB Strategic Priorities
- To focus and synchronize resources that will support our growing industries and inspire an attitude of opportunity in our community, and between the region and the state.
- To catalyze leadership and collaboration locally and regionally with information that engages us in the future economy that our growing industries can provide.
- To link our residents to growing industries and prepare them for in-demand careers.
Job Market for Job Seekers
- Initial assessment of skills and career direction
- Job search and placement assistance, including career counseling
- Information about growing industries, demand occupations and the skills necessary to succeed in the local and regional industries
- Literacy training
- Computer training
- Basic and advanced skills training
- On-the-job training placement
- Entrepreneurial training
Job Market for Business
- Recruitment and retention
- Candidate screening
- Job formulation
- Wage ranges
- Human resource policies
- Layoff assistance
- Labor law information
- Employer Advisory Council
Job Market for Youth
- Work readiness assessment and training
- Summer and year round youth job clearinghouse
- Job Club
- Intensive custom training and paid work experience
Start by Calling
The Job Market, 445-6149 or www.thejobmarket.org
WIB staff, 445-7745, or www.humboldtwib.com
Help With Hiring and Keeping Employees
Being a good employer is hard work. Hiring and keeping good employees is a big challenge for small business owners who typically don't have staff that specialize in human resources.
However, there are resources out there to support your employment needs. These include:
- Humboldt County Job Market
- North Coast Small Business Resource Center
- Humboldt County Workforce Investment Board
Humboldt County also benefits from the services of two private employment agencies: